Think Green Act Green
- Continue partnership with Steep Rock Association and other organizations regarding environmental programs and events, including the Earth Day 5K
- Continue bi-annual fundraiser.
- Expand options for creating additional funding for WEC’s College Environmental Studies Scholarship Program.
- Promote the annual “Give Local” event.
- Continue the Council’s involvement with local schools to promote environmental club opportunities at the primary, middle and high schools.
- Support Trout in the Classroom Program at Washington Primary School, Washington Montessori and the Gunnery.
- Partner with WBA to encourage and spotlight local “green” businesses.
- Maintain Harwood Memorial Lecture Series at two per year.
- Organize “Bag It” movie to be played at the Shepaug High School and the Gunn Memorial Library.
- Publish two digital and two print environmental newsletters per year.
- Expand and monitor email and social media efforts.
- Continue Earth Day town-wide roadside clean-up and continue to liaison with Steep Rock on Earth Day 5K race. Create a digital and physical map for the cleanup to concentrate efforts.
- Expand volunteer base and directorship within Washington and surrounding towns.
- Continue involvement in Household Hazardous Waste Program and increase participation.
- Investigate grant opportunities to fund the cost of recycling bins and/or water fountains throughout town.
- The Last Straw Campaign – Help to “green” local business through the use of environmentally friendly straws, utensils, packaging, etc. Include “Spotlighting a Green Business” article in print newsletter.
- Transfer Station: Continue to clarify recyclable/non-recyclable items, along with addressing other recycling issues at station.
- Plan and Research composting, plastic bag/film recycling, and other options for Transfer Station improvement project.
- Create and implement “Earth Go” treasure hunt and trivia event.
- Promote SSR vigorously to make certain forecasted SSR Challenge of 200 Tons increase in 5 years is achieved.