May 9, 2017
- WEC would like you to check out the CT League of Conservation Voters "Environmental Watchlist"
to help you keep on top of key pending legislation that will affect you and your community.
November 28, 2016
- WEC's Fall 2016 newsletter is out. Read it now
to learn more about our new co-presidents, find new ways to reduce your plastic footprint, and hear our exciting announcement!
November 14, 2016
- Great news! New Milford Mayor Gronbach has withdrawn his proposal to build a power plant at the old Century Brass site. Read the whole story at the News Times here
. Thanks go to everyone who signed the petition against the project!
October 4, 2016 - WEC welcomes Diane Lash Decker and Carrie Rowe as new Co-Presidents of the Council! Former President Carlos Canal continues to serve WEC in the capacity of President Emeritus.
September 24, 2016
- WEC held its third Moon Dance to benefit the Council's Scholarship Fund. Check out the photos here
September 17, 2016 -
Household Hazardous Waste Day is September 17, 2016 from 8 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at a NEW LOCATION: John Pettibone School at 2 Pickett District Road in New Milford. For more details click here.
July 1, 2016 - WEC and Washington Market hold their first drawing for winner of the Good Bag gift certificate prize of $100.
June 7, 2016 -
WEC presented local students with awards for Environmental Scholarships and Pratt Nature Center Day Camp Sponsorships at its annual Scholarship Awards
May 28, 2016 -
The Council launches The Good Bag Program
, an initiative designed to eliminate the use of disposable plastic and paper bags at checkout counters in Washington.
October 8, 2015
- WEC has recently learned that Coventry is the second town in Connecticut to enact a ban on fracking waste
, following Washington's passage of similar legislation in March 2015. We are aware of five other Connecticut towns that also considering similar ordinances. We hope to see many more towns follow our lead before Connecticut's moratorium on fracking waste ends in July 2017.
July 10, 2015 - The State of Connecticut passed HB 7102, a school construction bill containing language that allows Shepaug to apply for STEM funding for the Shepaug Valley Regional Agriscience Academy. This means that an additional 50-60 students per year would be accepted into this program, and potentially growing to up to 250 students over a four-year period.
June 3, 2015
- Sadly, the Connecticut General Assembly did not put the Bag Ban Bill
to a vote during this year's session.
May 12, 2015 -
WEC is now accepting applications for the Pratt Nature Center Scholarship. Applications are due May 27, 2015. Please visit this page
to find out more information about this great new program.
May 1, 2015 -
WEC helped students at WPS fund and implement a new composting program. Find more information on this and our other school programs here
April 30, 2015
- WEC purchased a Mantis double barreled composter for use by the Washington Primary School for their Environmental Club's brand new lunch composting program
April 15, 2015 -
The Connecticut General Assembly is currently reviewing a proposed bill that would ban single use bags in Connecticut. Click here
for more details.
March 14, 2015
- WEC is now accepting applications for our 2015 college scholarships for environmental studies. Applications are due by April 11, 2015. You can find application forms and more information on our scholarship page
March 5, 2015
- The Town of Washington passed an ordinance regarding fracking waste. Check out more information on our fracking page